Sunday, May 12, 2013

Are We Going to See Benedict Cumberbatch in "Star Wars"?

Image via Flickr.

"Shall we begin?"

The following interview is just awesome! Benedict Cumberbatch talks to Time Out magazine about Star Trek and his newfound fame that came with it.

Cumberbatch appreciates the fact that people gather by the hundreds just to see him, but he also thinks it's a little bit creepy. Believe it or not, that makes him nervous. The Star Trek Into Darkness villain says that no matter how successful and famous he becomes, his first love will always be theater. He says that London [and theater] is where he'll always go back to.

The interview closes with a very important question: Is there any chance of seeing him in JJ Abrams' Star Wars film? Read on!

QUIZ: What kind of a role should Benedict play, if cast in Star Wars? (bottom)
"
Were you a fan of the ‘Star Trek’ universe before making this film? Or were you an agnostic?
‘Yes, very much agnostic, that would be the term. I didn’t reject it. I’m not Richard Dawkins. I’m not a “Star Trek” atheist! I got a sentimental kick during the reboot, though, so there must have been something there. I think because it was on BBC Two before the six o’clock news. But as far as escapism went, “Star Wars” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark” got more under my skin.
‘I’ve got a respect for “Star Trek” now. I remember even at the time thinking these were quite tight morality plays and it wasn’t just about the fastidiousness and endless detail that people can obsess over in the Trekkie universe. Which is great…’
And of course you play a human in ‘Star Trek’ rather than a different species in ‘The Hobbit’.
‘Yes, I’m actually there. I’ve been asked before to play cerebral or manipulative masterminds, but not ones as brawny as this, so I enjoyed all that too. As a bad guy, you don’t just want to do nasty things and blow shit up. Working on “Star Trek”, you can marry your role slightly to real-life experiences but, playing Smaug in “The Hobbit”, it’s impossible to do that – he’s a 400-year-old firebreathing worm who lives on top of a pile of gold and likes eating doors.’
Are you just a voice in ‘The Hobbit’?
‘Obviously, I’m personally a biped rather than a serpent, so the motion-capture element is limited. I was mainly on my belly on the floor playing at being a dragon. It was like being a kid: no marks, no make-up, no continuity, no worries about camera positions. It was so much fun.’
[...]
Can you reassure your theatre fans that they haven’t lost you to the big screen?
‘Oh no, no, not at all! I love theatre, and you learn too much as an actor and enjoy too much of it not to want to go back a lot. I’m just trying to build a little bit of momentum with the monkey-puzzle climbing thing of the film world at the moment and that’s been a lot of fun over the past year and a bit.
'I’m aching to get back on the stage. It’s weird in this culture that we have this idea that we own people: “Oh, we’re going to lose him to Hollywood.” No, you’re not. I’ve got a suitcase, and my family, home and life are in London. This is where I come from and where I always go back to. I’m just thrilled that Hollywood appreciates what I’m doing at the moment.’
Star Trek’ is surely going to bring even more attention your way…
‘Yes, everyone’s saying that… “It’s going to go to another level”, “Benedict blasts off”, “It’s going to go into warp drive”, and all those terrible puns! But I go: “Well, yeah, I know James McAvoy, and he’s okay. Michael Fassbender, I know a little bit, and he’s doing fine.” It’s possible to remain grounded.
‘It’s all a bit of an adjustment. I can’t be anything but flattered because of the attention towards the work. It does get strange when you realise people will hang around for hours to get a glimpse of you doing scenes outside.
‘A lot of the filming for “Sherlock” has become like street theatre in London. When they get wind that somewhere’s been locked off, that’s it. I got performance anxiety the other day when I went to Gower Street and there were 500 people there. I’m just there to work. This is kind of like my office!’
Readers of The Sun have voted you sexiest man two years in a row now.
‘It’s very nice. As you can see, I’m okay-looking. I don’t really get it.’
[...]
The director of ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’, JJ Abrams, is directing the next, rebooted ‘Star Wars’ film. Are you holding out for a call from him?
‘He knows where I live, and I’ll always put another audition online for him should he need it. Yeah, that would be dreamy!’
"
[via Time Out]

QUIZ!

<a href="http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-says-being-in-star-wars-would-be-dreamy-what-kind-of-a-role-should-he-play/question-3686769/" title="Benedict Cumberbatch says being in Star Wars "would be dreamy". What kind of a role should he play, if cast in Star Wars?">Benedict Cumberbatch says being in Star Wars "would be dreamy". What kind of a role should he play, if cast in Star Wars?</a>

FROM AROUND THE WEB: